Print / Illustration
About the Project
This main goals of this project were to elicit the power of typographical signals for clarity and immediacy, adjust typographic signals to affect message and content, discover how typographical signals serve as visual cues for hierarchy and association, and acquire a methodology for approaching all messages. This project served to teach us how to use apply those skills to a real world scenario. There weren’t many constraints except the fact that we were required to make our poster on a tabloid sized canvas. The end product turned out to be a clear cut, effective poster. This piece is directed to other students learning about communication design as well as professors and teachers of communication design.
My first draft consisted of mostly doodling on illustrator, just doing what came into my mind. I put a polar bear there originally just because I liked them, and I figured my poster could use a touch of some not-so-even shapes. I later took it out because I realized it served no legitimate purpose. I mainly used text size to indicate visual hierarchy. The largest text on the page is the title, “futura” and from there the text size decreases for the year and designer. Further after that, the text size decreases more for the guides and then some more for the body text and quote. I used both dark grey and white text on the same background in order to create some contrast between what was what. I used justified text to create a geometric theme. My favorite aspects of the first draft that I knew i wanted to keep were the color scheme and how the “futura” and the uppercase and lowercase of the Futura typeface made a guide around the body text. I also really liked the placement of the year and creator of the typeface as they just fit so well. I started off with very little text, because I didn’t want my poster to seem cluttered, but I latter decided another paragraph would help the poster because as it was there was too much blank space.
My midway draft, as I would call it, had some significant changes. For one, you will notice the Futura symbols are no longer at the bottom of the text to create a horizontal guide. I just didn’t find it useful, and it was interrupting the otherwise simple, uncluttered style. There was a big deal on where to put symbols in order to show them off. You will see later the solution i devised. Another major change I made was the white boxat the bottom right hand corner. Extending it fully off the page looked much cleaner than the surrounded white box I previously had. I also set out the reduce the white space around the quote by Paul Renner in order to make that area of the poster less boring. Here, without the bear and horizontal symbols, the poster looks much cleaner and has a nice geometric theme. There is also a change in the backround color to a slightly lighter blue and grey text color to black, as the previous colors looked good on the screen, but make it a little difficult to read the body text on paper.
An interesting thing while I was working on this phase was that I realized I favored flat, geometric design over a more popping, layered design. That flat and geometric combination is just so clean and simple, not to mention practical. The poster is very easy to follow and read.
Mainly minor changes were made to my final draft. I had to change the alignment within the text and change was the overall text sizes. Making all text smaller but keeping the proportions allowed for more breathing space around the text as well as fitting in those symbols. As you can see, the Futura symbols are now placed on the right side extending the lowercase characters. The white space at the bottom is again decreased and the text “Paul Renner” in the whitespace is italicized to make the bottom right less boring. To complement the box at the bottom going off the page, I extended the ‘u’ in “futura” off the page. These changes wrap up the poster for me. The end product: an elegant, effective, and practical poster.